Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sue Scheff: School Conferences with Your Child's Teachers

School Family is a fantastic website with a wealth of information. Here is a great list of questions you need to be ready for as parent teacher conferences are being scheduled.

FOR PARENTS TO ASK ABOUT THE SCHOOL

• How is the school working to keep students on track
and/or raise achievement?
• How can I stay aware of what my child’s assignments
are and how my child is doing in class?
• [In the fall:] What are students expected to master by
the end of the year? How will you be gauging my
child’s progress toward these goals?
• If my child is falling behind, how will I be notified?



FOR PARENTS TO SHARE WITH THE TEACHER


• Any changes in the home or family situation that
might affect your child (behavior, achievement,
or other)
• Whether your child is experiencing difficulties
(academic, social, or other) at school

FOR PARENTS TO ASK ABOUT THEIR CHILD

• What are my child’s academic strengths? What
areas need improvement?
• What is my child’s current achievement level and
how does it compare with other students in the
same age group?
• What specific things can I do to support my child
and reinforce classroom lessons at home?
• How do you view my child’s emotional and
social skills?
• With whom does my child socialize? How does my
child relate to peers and adults?
• How does my child do with working in groups and
working independently?
• Does my child exhibit a good attitude toward
learning? Does my child make a good effort on
assignments and turn in completed assignments?
• Does my child stay on task well or need frequent
reminders? Has my child been developing good
work habits?
• Does my child participate in class? Does my child
behave in class?
• How much time should my child be spending on
homework each night?
• Have you noticed any issues that need to be
addressed or interests to be encouraged?
Follow School Family on Twitter.

No comments: