Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sue Scheff: I Care I Cure Foundation - Finding a Gentler Cure



The I Care I Cure Foundation supports the development of, and raises public awareness about, cutting-edge, targeted therapies for childhood cancer, so the treatment of childhood cancer will be gentler and more tolerable. - www.icareicurefoundation.org

Do you love running or outside fun with family and friends? In South Florida January has the perfect weather for activities outside!

The I Care I Cure Foundation will have their 3rd Annual I Care I Cure. . . I Run 5k/10k Walk/Run that will be held at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, FL on Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 7 a.m. The Walk/Run is open to adults and kids alike and supports I Care I Cure's mission of raising awareness and funds for gentler cures for childhood cancer. Following the walk/run, there will be an expanded Family Fun Day with activities for kids, food and lots of fun!

A bit of history about this wonderful foundation:

The I Care I Cure Foundation was founded by Beth and Brad Besner (along with their friends and family) in honor of their son, Ian, who was diagnosed with T-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) in January, 2006, one week before his 11th birthday. Ian was an extraordinary boy who shared his joy and love of life with everyone who met him.....


When Ian was diagnosed with leukemia, his whole world fell apart. He was bitterly angry. While the "cure" rate for ALL has come a long way with "cure" rates of 75-80% ", the reality of pediatric cancer treatment is excruciatingly difficult. Ian's treatment was to last about 2 ½, years and entail massive doses of toxic chemotherapies administered orally, intravenously, through frequent shots to his legs and spine, and radiation to his brain. To a bright, joyful, enthusiastic child, this so-called "cure" was a death sentence - the end of life as he knew it.... read more here.

Learn more about this foundation and how you can help. Click here.

Also on Examiner.

No comments: