Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Teen Drive Smart: Road Show Rally 2011 Video Contest!

So after months of studying and practice, you passed your driver’s test and finally have your license…nice work! But the hard part isn’t over yet. In fact, it’s just starting. Once you and your friends begin driving, you’ll begin to see that everyone has a different standard of what constitutes “safe driving.”


Before getting in the car with another driver, think to yourself: would I let my kid brother/sister drive with this person? If the answer is no, then you shouldn’t do it either. Teens Drive Smart has put together some ways to help you get out of these rather uncomfortable situations without damaging friendships.

We know that talking to your friends about driving safe can be tricky, so here are five quick things you can say when confronted with a friend who is driving distracted:
  • Texting: “Do you want me to hold onto your cell phone while you’re driving?”
  • Driving and Overcrowded Vehicle: “Whoa! We all can’t fit. Let’s not get [driver] in trouble. Anyone want to stay back with me?
  • Drinking and Driving: “I’m not feeling well. I think I’m going to call my parents to pick me up. Do you want me to have them pick you up, too?”
  • Treating You Like a Chauffeur: “I can give you a ride but the others are on their own.”
  • Rowdy Passengers: “Hey guys! Not to be annoying, but can you guys quiet down a bit? I’m still getting used to the idea of driving with other people in the car.”
Now it is time to rally and be part of  a great contest!

On behalf of Bridgestone Americas,  their Teens Drive Smart Road Show Rally 2011 Tour, a high school grant contest promoting safe driving and the importance of learning these behaviors before a driver sits behind the wheel is on!

So as you head back to school this fall ask your friends, “Are you ready to rally?” Any individual or group of teens interested in participating in this contest will create a 30-second to two-minute video describing the following:
  • What they have done in their community to spread the safe driving message;
  • What they would like to do in the future to alert others about the dangers of driving distracted;
  • And why a road show rally should come to their school.
Entrants will be judged by three criteria: Creativity, Need, and Story and are to submit their videos by October 7th. The grand prize winning school will receive the Road Show Rally and a $5,000 donation!

More information can be found by visiting http://www.teensdrivesmart.com/road-show-rally-tour.html. And while you’re there, be sure to check out Teens Drive Smart on Facebook and Twitter!

Join me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter for more information and educational articles on parenting today’s teenagers.

No comments: