Through the many resources available in Broward County, teenage pregnancies have been decreasing. According to National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy there have been more than 354,000 teen births in Florida, between 1991 and 2004, costing taxpayers a total of 8.1 billion dollars.
In September 2006 report by Guttnacher Institute, Florida ranked 6th in a nationwide study with 97 per 1,000 pregnancies in women between ages of 15-19. (Broward County Teen Pregnancy Help).
National Women's Law Center will be hosting a free conference call.
Know Your Rights: A Conference Call for Pregnant and Parenting Students!
Wednesday, August 10, 3pm Eastern
Pregnant and parenting students have a right to equal educational opportunities! Interested? Get more information about protections for students against discrimination.
Expert Speakers will include:
- Lara S. Kaufmann, Senior Counsel, National Women's Law Center
- Jeanette Pai-Espinosa, President, National Crittenton Foundation
- A student who is pregnant or has been pregnant while attending school, whether at the high school or post-secondary level?
- A member of the school community who wants to ensure that pregnant and parenting students do not experience discrimination but instead stay in school and succeed?
- Someone who works with students or advocates for young mothers' rights?
Be an educated parent, you will have healthier teens.
Follow me on Facebook for more great articles.