Is it time to have an intervention? What is best to insure that your teen gets back on a positive road to have that bright future you always wanted for them?
Let's review some choices to get help:
Wilderness Therapeutic Programs: Short term program, short term results, usually zero academics, extremely expensive and as many teens state they have great experiences, it is usually never enough to make lasting positive changes.
- The concept: Remove the kids from their comforts of home. Get them to reflect on themselves from within.
- Thought: Wouldn't it be wise to find one program that offers a well-rounded program including removing them from their comforts of home, offering them an education as well as encouraging them through enrichment programs?
- The concept: Teach your child a lesson, and hope they learn to appreciate and respect you.
- Thought: Again, finding a sound program that offers positive enrichment, academics as well as trained staff to help determine where the negative behavior is stemming from.
- The Concept: Show your teen the consequences of breaking the law. Hopefully scaring them straight so they turn around their behavior.
- Thought: Get your teen the right help that instills positive reinforcement, continuing education and work on family conflict with an outside counselor.
- Concept: It took longer than 6-8 weeks to get to the place your teen is at, it will take at least 6-9 months to get your child back.
- Thought: Take your time and find the best program for you and your family both emotionally and financially. Consider that short term programs are like band-aids - they do peel off fairly quickly.
Don't wait for your teen to be over 18, get them help while you still have the ability and control.